There has been a rise in the popularity of Omega-3 for humans in the last couple of years. However, did you know that Omega-3, more commonly known as Fish Oil, can also benefit your dogs and cats? Omega-3 is said to aid in the treatment of arthritis, allergies, skin conditions, kidney problems, heart disease, lymphoma, cognitive functions, and many others. But the wonders of omega-3 for pets don’t stop there. It is also said to help cure more serious problems like cancers.
Now let’s be more specific. How exactly does Omega-3 help your pet?
Benefits of Omega-3 for Pets
1. Great skin and coat
Fish oil supplements can aid in reducing inflammation. This helps lessens the severity of allergies from flea bites, foods, and inhalants. Omega-3 also helps in treating dander, dry skin, and other forms of skin scaling disorders.
2. Boosts immunity
Omega-3 can help boost your pet’s health and immunity, making them stronger and less susceptible to diseases. Omega-3, with its anti-inflammatory properties, can help prevent degenerative diseases and reverse brain inflammations. Fish oil is especially good for senior pets who tend to have weaker immune systems and who are more prone to infections and inflammations.
3. Anti-inflammatory properties
Inflammation is the sneaky cause of many diseases in dogs and cats. Inflammation is the culprit in many diseases in your pets’ vital organs: the brain, the heart, and kidney. Arthritis is also caused by inflammation. The worst part is, we can’t always see the inflammation. Using Omega-3 can effectively reduce inflammation and promote good circulation in these organs.
4. Aids in brain and visual development
The wonders of Omega-3 for pets are not exclusively for adult and senior dogs and cats. Fish oil can also help enhance brain and eye development in puppies and kittens. Giving Omega-3 supplements to pregnant and nursing pets will also benefit the litter.
5. May be used to treat cancer
More studies are needed for more conclusive results but the studies that are being conducted are very promising; with some showing that fish oil slows down the growth of cancer.
6. Omega-3 slows down the growth of common yeast infections in pets.
7. Omega-3 prevents certain kinds of heart problems in pets.
8. Omega-3 helps pets maintain healthy blood pressure and also decreases bad cholesterol levels.
9. Omega-3 can also prevent blood clots and regulate blood-clotting activity.
10. Arthritic pets who received fish oil supplements showed significant improvement in terms of gait and activity scores. They also aced their veterinary orthopedic exams, compared to pets who did not receive the supplement.
There you have it, the wonders of Omega-3 for pets. As pet parents, we only want what is best for our furry children. The benefits of Omega-3 go beyond joint support, heart and immune system health. Keep your four-legged babies lively and active every day with Omega-3.